While divorcing parties aren’t required to hire a lawyer in Texas, it is a wise idea for those undergoing a contested divorce or one involving children or large assets. An attorney can help you understand court documents, divide property, negotiate child custody and alimony, and ensure your best interests are met.
Divorce can be a complex and emotionally challenging process, so it is best to have an experienced family law attorney on your side who can help you navigate complicated procedures. A lawyer can handle your entire case or can advise you on your rights and options and make sure your forms are properly filled out.
Choosing the right attorney is important. If you have never hired a lawyer before or have had a bad experience with one in the past, you may be wondering where to start or how to find an attorney you can trust.
Whether you have just started your search for a divorce lawyer or are deciding between several options, here are the five important steps you should take.
- Do your research. You should research and interview several attorneys before making your final decision. Read through their websites and try to find reviews or recommendations of their services before meeting with them to discuss your case.
- Find someone who specializes in divorce. Make sure you choose an attorney with experience and a proven track record in family law and divorce in particular. You want to hire an attorney who specializes in divorce in order to ensure the best outcome for your case.
- Choose a responsive attorney. From the initial strategy session through the final court order, your attorney should be personally involved in every aspect of the case. It is a bad sign if an attorney doesn’t respond to you promptly or is constantly distracted by calls or emails during your consultation.
- Look for red flags. An attorney should never divulge confidential information from other cases, disrespect other parties, treat you or their staff poorly, or make bold and unrealistic promises.
- Trust your gut. Don’t ignore your intuition when choosing a family law attorney. From start to finish, you should feel confident in your representation and should experience a sense of relief in the midst of a difficult situation.
At Sandoval Law Firm we understand the stress of dealing with divorce, child custody and domestic violence. Our firm consists of founding attorney Raul Sandoval Jr. and a dedicated support staff. Mr. Sandoval earned his law degree from Texas Tech University School of Law. Since that time, he has been practicing family law in the Austin area, as well as teaching seminars, classes and other forms of professional development.